I am currently a Research Associate in Marine Renewables at The University of Edinburgh. I work in the Policy & Innovation Group within the Institute for Energy Systems, part of the School of Engineering, normally based at the King’s Buildings campus. I work on a range of projects looking at tools and policies to foster nascent marine renewable energy technologies, primarily tidal stream and wave energy.
The main project I am working on is DTOceanPlus, developing a second-generation suite of open-source design tools for wave and tidal energy, to be released in summer 2021. This involves a pan-European consortium of 16 academic and industrial partners, plus 2 research labs from the USA, with over 100 people working on the project.
Prior to that, I spent 4 years researching how to test physical scale models of marine renewable energy devicestidal turbines, wave energy convertors, floating wind turbines, and their supporting infrastructure, etc. in the new FloWave facility at the University of Edinburgh. This also involves understanding and measuring the characteristics of how the waves and current are produced in the test tank. You can read the summary of my thesis for more details.
All my academic publications are listed here, with key ones below.
- Noble, D R; Draycott, S; Nambiar, A; Sellar, B G; Steynor, J; Kiprakis, A (2020) Experimental Assessment of Flow, Performance, and Loads for Tidal Turbines in a Closely-Spaced Array. Energies. 10.3390/en13081977
Draycott, S; Sellar, B; Davey, T; Noble, D R; Venugopal, V; Ingram, D M (2019) Capture and simulation of the ocean environment for offshore renewable energy. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 10.1016/j.rser.2019.01.011.
- Draycott, S, Noble, D R, Davey, T A D, Bruce, T, Ingram, D M, Johanning, L, Smith, H C M, Day, A H and Kaklis, P (2017) Re-creation of site-specific multi-directional waves with non-collinear crrent. Ocean Engineering. 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2017.10.047.
- Noble, D R, Draycott, S, Davey, T A D, & Bruce, T (2017) Design diagrams for wavelength discrepancy in tank testing with inconsistently scaled intermediate water depth. International Journal of Marine Energy. 10.1016/j.ijome.2017.04.001.
- Sutherland, D R J, Noble, D R, Steynor, J, Davey, T A D, & Bruce, T (2017) Characterisation of Current and Turbulence in the FloWave Ocean Energy Research Facility. Ocean Engineering. 10.1016/j.oceaneng.2017.02.028.
- Noble D, Davey T, Smith H, Kaklis P, Robinson A, and Bruce T (2015) Spatial Variation of Currents Generated in the FloWave Ocean Energy Research Facility, Proceedings of the 11th European Wave and Tidal Energy Conference (EWTEC2015), Nantes, France. (Research Gate)